The Town of Stockbridge began as a mission to the Mahican Indians. The Reverend John Sergeant was sent as the first missioner to the Berkshires by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in 1734. As the town grew and attracted English and Dutch settlers, the Indian Mission developed into what is now the Stockbridge Congregational Church. Among Sergeant’s noteworthy successors at Stockbridge were the great Puritan preacher Jonathan Edwards and the beloved David Dudley Field. In 1834, following the disestablishment of the Congregational Church in Massachusetts, a small group of townspeople organized the first Anglican worship in Stockbridge, incorporating St. Paul’s Church.